VP of Legal
Verana Health, a digital health company that delivers quality drug lifecycle and medical practice insights from an exclusive real-world data network, recently secured a $150 million Series E led by Johnson & Johnson Innovation – JJDC, Inc. (JJDC) and Novo Growth, the growth-stage investment arm of Novo Holdings.
Existing Verana Health investors GV (formerly Google Ventures), Casdin Capital, and Brook Byers also joined the round, as well as notable new investors, including the Merck Global Health Innovation Fund, THVC, and Breyer Capital.
We are driven to create quality real-world data in ophthalmology, neurology and urology to accelerate quality insights across the drug lifecycle and within medical practices. Additionally, we are driven to advance the quality of care and quality of life for patients. DRIVE defines our internal purpose and is the galvanizing force that helps ground us in a shared corporate culture. DRIVE is: Diversity, Responsibility, Integrity, Voice-of-Customer and End-Results. Click here to read more about our culture and values.
Our headquarters are located in San Francisco and we have additional offices in Knoxville, TN and New York City with employees working remotely in AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, IL, LA, MA, NC, NJ, NV, NY, OH, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT , VA, WA, Washington, D.C. All employees are required to have permanent residency in one of these states. Candidates who are willing to relocate are also encouraged to apply.
Job Title: VP of Legal
As the Vice President of Legal at Verana Health, you will play a crucial role in continuing to shape the legal landscape of our organization. You will be responsible for providing expert legal advice and guidance to ensure that our company operates within the bounds of the law and maintains the highest ethical standards.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Legal Strategy and Oversight:
- Develop and implement legal strategies aligned with the company's goals and objectives.Provide leadership and direction to the legal team, ensuring all activities support the overall business strategy.
- Monitor and interpret laws, regulations, and industry standards relevant to the health tech sector.Establish compliance programs to ensure adherence to all applicable laws and regulations.
- Drive efforts to mitigate risk of non-compliance or any breaches
Contracts and Agreements:
- Draft, review, negotiate, and manage a wide range of commercial contracts, including partnerships, vendor agreements, licensing, and client contracts. Specific focus on SaaS and data licensing.Provide guidance to stakeholders on contractual obligations and risks.
- Manage intellectual property portfolio, including patents, trademarks, and copyrights.Develop strategies to protect and enforce the company's intellectual property rights.
- Identify legal risks and proactively implement measures to mitigate them.Provide counsel on potential legal disputes and oversee litigation matters.
- Develop and implement training programs to educate employees on legal and compliance matters.
Data Privacy and Security:
- Ensure compliance with data protection laws and regulations, such as HiTrust, HIPAA and NIST frameworks.Develop and implement policies and procedures to safeguard sensitive information.
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree
- Active License with the State Bar of California.
- 10+ years of experience in law, with a strong understanding of regulatory requirements.
- Deep proven experience with SaaS and data licensing
- Enterprise contract experience
- Excellent communication, negotiation, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Experience in working with health startups or similar high-growth environments.
- Knowledge/experience of MIPS (Merit-Based Incentive Payment System)
- We provide health, vision, and dental coverage for employees
- Verana pays 100% of employee insurance coverage and 70% of family
- Plus an additional monthly $100 individual / $200 HSA contribution with HDHP
- Spring Health mental health support
- Flexible vacation plans
- A generous parental leave policy and family building support through the Carrot app
- $500 learning and development budget
- $25/wk in Doordash credit
- Headspace meditation app - unlimited access
- Gympass - 3 free live classes per week + monthly discounts for gyms like Soulcycle
Please note pay ranges for major metropolitan areas may be different.