Senior Quantitative Scientist
Verana Health, a digital health company that delivers quality drug lifecycle and medical practice insights from an exclusive real-world data network, recently secured a $150 million Series E led by Johnson & Johnson Innovation – JJDC, Inc. (JJDC) and Novo Growth, the growth-stage investment arm of Novo Holdings.
Existing Verana Health investors GV (formerly Google Ventures), Casdin Capital, and Brook Byers also joined the round, as well as notable new investors, including the Merck Global Health Innovation Fund, THVC, and Breyer Capital.
We are driven to create quality real-world data in ophthalmology, neurology and urology to accelerate quality insights across the drug lifecycle and within medical practices. Additionally, we are driven to advance the quality of care and quality of life for patients. DRIVE defines our internal purpose and is the galvanizing force that helps ground us in a shared corporate culture. DRIVE is: Diversity, Responsibility, Integrity, Voice-of-Customer and End-Results. Click here to read more about our culture and values.
Our headquarters are located in San Francisco and we have additional offices in Knoxville, TN and New York City with employees working remotely in AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, IL, LA, MA, NC, NJ, NY, OH, OR, PA, TN, TX, UT , VA, WA, WI. All employees are required to have permanent residency in one of these states. Candidates who are willing to relocate are also encouraged to apply.
Job Title: Senior Quantitative Scientist
As Verana Health reinvents how research happens with data and technology in the healthcare space, we are growing our Quantitative Sciences team to solve complex real-world problems across multiple therapeutic areas, including urology, ophthalmology, and neurology. We are looking for a Senior Quantitative Scientist with experience interfacing with life science companies in support of commercial projects leveraging real-world data spanning a variety of use cases across the clinical development cycle. Direct experience working with ophthalmology, urology, and/or neurology clinical data is considered a plus.
This role will report directly to the Director of the Quantitative Sciences team embedded within Verana's analytic services offering, which includes insight generation and consultative support on data products directly accessed by commercial partners. Built on the values of continuous learning, cross-functional collaboration, and rigorous scientific research, the Quantitative Sciences team strives to improve patient care by innovating at the intersection of real world data, clinical context, and methodology with our partners to ensure all available data is being used to in the most efficient, data-driven way possible.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Verana Health is looking for a Senior Quantitative Scientist with a background in epidemiology and/or biostatistics, specifically in observational data, as well as collaborating directly with life science companies.
- Be a hands-on individual contributor on the Quantitative Sciences team with a solid grasp of relevant technical approaches (biostatistics and/or epidemiology) and their respective assumptions
- Have a strong familiarity with designing analyses using observational data to ensure robust conclusions can be made
- Direct experience working with teams embedded with life science organizations (e.g., HEOR, medical affairs, commercial)
- Work on commercial retrospective clinical studies leveraging EHR real-world data through responsibilities such as creation of statistical analysis plans, implementation of analyses, development of algorithms in support of research objectives, and/or writing of publications
- Collaborate with customers to understand project objectives and stakeholder needs
- Collaborate cross-functionally with teams (e.g., Commercial/Sales, Product, Medical, Engineering/Technology, etc.) to translate clinical investigation questions into detailed data analytics requirements for internal and external projects
- Master’s or doctorate in a quantitative discipline (e.g., biostatistics, epidemiology, health economics, etc.) or equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years of hands-on experience with messy data (e.g., electronic health records, outcomes data) and analytical methodologies
- 5+ years working with life science/pharmaceutical/biotechnology organizations and familiarity with providing analytic services to these groups
- Experience designing and executing research studies for life sciences
- Strong familiarity with health data analytics tools, especially SQL, Python, R
- Familiarity with clinical datasets and coding systems such as ICD, CPT, and RxNorm
- Familiarity with pharmaceutical industry’s strategy and business processes, including clinical trials, new drug introduction and clinical operations
- Ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams
- Clear communication skills and able to deliver internal/external presentations
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects with high attention to detail
- We provide health, vision, and dental coverage for employees
- Verana pays 100% of employee insurance coverage and 70% of family
- Plus an additional monthly $100 individual / $200 HSA contribution with HDHP
- Spring Health mental health support
- Flexible vacation plans
- A generous parental leave policy and family building support through the Carrot app
- $500 learning and development budget
- $25/wk in Doordash credit
- Headspace meditation app - unlimited access
- Gympass - 3 free live classes per week + monthly discounts for gyms like Soulcycle
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Verana, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
Please note pay ranges for major metropolitan areas may be different.