Medical Director, Clinical Strategy
Cohere Health is illuminating healthcare for patients, their doctors, and all those who are important in a patient’s healthcare experience, both in and out of the doctors office. Founded in August, 2019, we are obsessed with eliminating wasteful friction patients and doctors experience in areas that have nothing to do with health and treatment, particularly for diagnoses that require expensive procedures or medications. To that end, we build software that is expressly designed to ensure the appropriate plan of care is understood and expeditiously approved, so that patients and doctors can focus on health, rather than payment or administrative hassles.
The Medical Director, Clinical Strategy, will report to the Chief Medical Officer and be a fundamental physician driver of new clinical program design, strategy, and innovation – working closely with prospective and current clients as we rapidly expand . As the internal subject matter expert in one or more clinical specialties, you will support go-to-market efforts with the Growth team by evangelizing Cohere’s vision and understanding the pain points and needs of Cohere’s clients (i.e., health plans, health systems, & ACOs). You will also collaborate cross-functionally to shape and execute the clinical strategy so that Cohere successfully fills those needs using our core technologies and services. At a growing organization, this is a position that offers the ability to make a substantive mark on the company, and its partners, and the healthcare system.
The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of the health plan market and proven success in clinical, care management, or similar strategic roles supporting the successful execution of consultative engagements designing programs for current and existing clients. Most importantly, this exciting new role requires a physician leader who can think strategically and is equally strong in driving execution as we develop and launch new clinical and care management offerings. The work will be fast-paced with evolving needs, requiring flexibility, emotional intelligence, curiosity, and grace under pressure.
Last but not least: People who succeed here are empathetic teammates who are candid, kind, caring, and embody our core values and principles. We believe that diverse, inclusive teams make the most impactful work. Cohere is deeply invested in ensuring that we have a supportive, growth-oriented environment that works for everyone.
What you will do:
- Lead the vision and evolution of the company’s clinical and digital care management offerings as the clinical subject matter expert, in collaboration with colleagues from Clinical Strategy, Analytics, Product Management, Operations, Growth, and other teams
- Utilizing market data, consumer research, and patient analytics, spearhead new approaches to effective clinical delivery services, including the introduction of new technology and integrated pathsProvide physician leadership in the creation of comprehensive research packages, investigating specific clinical areas/offerings and strategic partners of interest to strengthen the offering. Then, execute on cultivating any external partnerships and/or vendor relationships as necessary
- Create and expand client relationships by partnering with the Growth team to uncover client pain points and deliver solutions
- Participate in the strategic planning for Cohere’s clinical and digital care management strategy
- Provide strategic guidance of utilization management and medical policy programs/areas as necessary to support the clinical organization
- Monitor performance of launched clinical programs and support continuous improvement
Your background & requirements:
- Completed US-based residency program. General medical or surgical training preferred.
- Board certification as an MD or DO with a current unrestricted state license to practice medicine
- 5+ years of clinical practice beyond residency/fellowship
- 5+ years experience in managed care or clinical strategy at a health plan, healthtech/solutions/services, expert consulting (partner-level), or related payer-facing roles
- MBA or advanced degree in healthcare-related discipline preferred
- Experience serving as the lead thinker / consulting partner, designing innovative clinical programs and interventions driving value for payers and their members
- Success in building credibility, influence and partnership with key clients
- Executive presence and ability to communicate effectively with partners / clients
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with highly cross-functional teammates and influence internal partner groups
- Strong communication and team management / interpersonal skills
- Strong leadership capabilities and ability to initiate and maintain cross-team relationships
We can't wait to learn more about you and meet you at Cohere Health!
Equal Opportunity Statement
Cohere Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to fostering an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all. To us, it’s personal.