Compliance Law Clerk
We exist for American workers and their employers -- who are the backbone of our economy. That is where Centivo comes in -- our mission is to bring affordable, high-quality healthcare to the millions of Americans who struggle to pay their healthcare bills.
The Compliance Law Clerk will work within the legal team to assist with researching and concisely summarizing evolving areas of the regulatory framework for self-funded third party medical benefits administration. You will have a chance to work with a small in-house legal team (one a UB Law grad), engage with outside counsel if additional expertise is needed and work cross-functionally with the business. You will gain exposure to the Buffalo start up community and the chance to work with an experienced team of benefits, health tech leaders. The role has the possibility for a full-time summer 2024 opportunity, with part time work continuing into the 2024-25 academic year.
- Researching areas of health plan and third-party administrator compliance issues, exclusively in the realm of ERISA self-funded medical benefit plans
- Refine abilities to craft clear, concise white papers and guidance documents – both for the legal affairs department as well as business audiences
- Prioritizing work relative to risk, importance and leveraging time management skills to complete tasks on a timely basis.
- Opportunities to interact with cross-functional business departments to assist with project management of the operational implications of gaining compliance in evolving areas of the regulatory environment
- Development a compliance library on key topics.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to prioritize and organize own work to meet deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to speak clearly and concisely, conveying complex or technical information in a manner that others can understand, as well as ability to understand and interpret complex information
- Strong interpersonal skills, establishing rapport and working well with others
- Advanced Microsoft Suite skills
Education and Experience:
- 2L at University of Buffalo, School of Law
- Interest in health care, health benefits, start ups required, with a preference for some related experience
- Strong, clear research and writing skills.
- An ideal candidate would be assigned to the Buffalo Office with flexibility for some work from home.
- Remote work, or work from the NYC office for summer 2024-25 is an option.
Leadership Skills & Behaviors:
- Strategic Thinking – Knack for sorting through clutter to find the best route, often by pulling up from the current complexity to identify patterns that guide future direction and allow one to narrow the options and articulate the options from which others can work backward.
- Business Acumen – A keenness and quickness in understanding and dealing with a business situation (risks and opportunities) in a manner that is likely to lead to a good outcome. Critical to this is an ability to think beyond their own function.
- Systems/Analytical Thinking – Demonstrates the ability to think fluidly and integrate information. Able to anticipate non-linear and non-obvious relationships. Often includes an ability to think holistically/conceptually – very powerful when accompanied by ability to communicate & clarify tactically.
- Flexibility/Working through Ambiguity – Tendency to be energized by new experiences/perspectives that test assumptions and thinking. Considers different points of view, sometimes with fragmented information, to arrive at practical, effective, actionable next steps.
- Resilient - There is no easy button for healthcare affordability. Luckily the mission is worth the effort. Our resiliency ensures we don’t give up.
- Different - The status quo isn’t working for members or employers, or providers. Our focus is on making things better for them. They are our shared “why” - that makes us different.
- Building - Building is harder than maintaining. We know we need to be bold, try new things, fail quickly and keep trying. So we are builders.
- Winners - We act with urgency and execute with speed. Avoiding bureaucracy & rework makes us more efficient. We are committed to winning and delivering as promised on our mission.
- Positive - We give energy to others and are humble and generous. When our tank gets low, someone is there to help us refill it. We celebrate together and are supportive, generous and
To determine our range, we consider as many of the following data points as are available to us: external market salary survey data, internal data in terms of comparable roles and our budget for the position. Compensation is both an art and a science (as is negotiating a salary for a new job at a new company!), so what we have posted is our good faith estimate of what we expect to pay. We encourage candidates to apply for positions that are of interest and share their desired salary. We consider that as an additional data point, along with candidate skills and qualifications as part of our process.
Who we are:
Centivo is an innovative health plan for self-funded employers on a mission to bring affordable, high-quality healthcare to the millions of working Americans who struggle to pay their medical bills. Anchored around a primary care based ACO model, Centivo saves employers 15 to 30 percent compared to traditional insurance carriers. Employees also realize significant savings through our free primary care (including virtual), predictable copay and no-deductible benefit plan design. Centivo works with employers ranging in size from 51 employees to Fortune 500 companies. For more information, visit centivo.com.
Headquartered in Buffalo, NY with offices in New York City and Buffalo, Centivo is backed by leading healthcare and technology investors, including a recent round of investment from Morgan Health, a business unit of JPMorgan Chase & Co.